Wednesday, September 02, 2009

4 grits warning, just in case Nobody cares

Heads up:
Do you know what's going to happen on Sept. 8th? Pres. Obama will be addressing your children at school. There is a planned nation-wide address by the President to help the kids start their school year the right way. Whatever that means. You know what it means? There will be a sponsored brainwashing at a school near you. Am I Conservative? No. Ideally I would claim to be a Libertarian, although I realize this is an impossible political situation in reality. But Democrat, Republican, Seussian, whatever. I'm not comfortable with a politician speaking to my children without my consent. So I may very well be taking my kids out of school for this. I may very well give them my own address covering such topics as being kind to others and sharing what you have because YOU WANT TO, and not because you have been ordered to from over the barrel of a rifle. Yes, my kids go to a government school. Yes, I would send them to private school if I could afford it. Hopefully, eventually, I will do just that. But until then, I will do my best to be vigilant about the information that is fed to them. P.S. the article is a little inflammatory, so take it with a grain of salt.

5 comments:

Jenny P. said...

I absolutely appreciate the heads up. I hadn't heard about this.

Becky said...

Read about this today and contacted the school. They had only heard a little about it and didn't know if they were going to watch it. Sounds like our school is leaving it up to the teachers to decide what they are going to do.
I am going to call the school again on Friday and find out what is going on and I am also going to talk to each teacher about it at the end of the week to see if they are watching the address and what "activities" they are going to do along with it.
I think that learning civics is a great thing. All kids need to know that we live in and AMZING country. The best in the world!!! And that we should do what we need to to help the country to be successful.
I just don't need my girls being told that they have to help the President (or anyone for that matter that they don't agree with) and that is part of being a good citizen.
They need to know that we should do what we feel is best for our country, popular or cool or not!!!

ucmama said...

We shall see...

Charlotte said...

I'm a little worried. I hope it is a little speech about making goals and not an indoctrination into fulfilling Obama's goal. We'll be watching it at home and discussing with the children afterwards. Might even go in and observe in the classroom during the speech.

Nobody said...

I care. I always care.