Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hey y'all.

I've lost 40 pounds now. My pants are getting loose again. Hopefully I can drop another size soon.

How Michelle? Well, I'll tell ya.

1. I stopped drinking cokes in July. I'm southern. Wha-huh? Oh stop. You knew that already. When you're raised southern, Coca Cola is an essential part of your life. It's mixed with your baby rice cereal. And if you're truly southern, there are times when the milk is gone, but the coke isn't. So you try it on your Lucky Charms. I'm not saying it's GOOD, I'm just sayin'.

P.S. My mother did NOT EVER put coke in my baby cereal. She would want you to know that.

2. I substituted coffee for cokes. While I don't recommend this, I grew up being around and drinking coffee and it works for me for now. I will wean myself off eventually, but for now it works. I sweeten it with vanilla soy milk.

3. I stopped eating desserts. You are what you eat and I was tired of being a cookie. Or a donut. I don't mind being sweet and jelly filled, however, I do not want to look like it.

4. I take more walks/runs. It's harder when it's cold and snowy, but I do it anyway. Just layer up. It also feels amazing to be able to take those layers off when you get home. It's sort of like being able to peel off layers of body weight if you visual it just right. If you don't, then it just ends up feeling like some creepy B-movie removing your skin kind of thing. So do it right.

5. I eat smaller portions. This was difficult at first. But actually, I just realized that if I wanted to stop being twice normal size, I should eat half as much. So I would make a "normal" plate for myself and then put half of it back. Now my normal actually is normal. I also trade a little more veggies and a little less unhealthy choices.

6. I take herbs. I've always been interested in holistic choices. I use cayenne and ginger to kick start my metabolism in the morning. I take DHA, or omega 3, pills. Not all the time, just when I feel like it.

I've changed. I feel better. I look better. I have more energy. I don't feel like I need a nap all the time. I don't go to food as a stress release. I meditate instead. Just a few minutes at a time. Or I go do something else to make myself feel prettier. I go fix my hair, or put on some glittery lipgloss. It sounds simple, but it's really a psychological and philosophical change. It's good. Life is good.

12 comments:

Adolescent Family said...

Congrats on the 40! Post a picture for those of us who don't live in your town :) I am currently trying to find the motivation to work out. Other peoples success is great to hear and see! Keep it up! :)

Mrs Andy said...

Clicked on your from my blog friend Charlotte. You are hillarous! I love this blog post. I'm also trying to be less of myself at present. It's a journey for sure.

Mom/Grandmomma said...

YAY for you honey!!! That's wonderful. I'm very proud of you. It is very hard to change your eating habits, lifestyle and mindset all at the same time. Thank you for clarifying that I did NOT put coca cola in any of your food products. :-)

ucmama said...

Hey T! It's been awhile. I'm glad you stopped by. I will definitely post pics as soon as I find my camera. Or my mom buys me a new one.

East of Eden, good to meet ya. Hope to see you again soon and good luck with your journey :)

Mom, it's especially hard when there is still chocolate in the house and I know how to make the best fried chicken. whew! And I thought you would appreciate the post script.

Mom/Grandmomma said...

It's amusing that you have discovered new and unique ways to slide in the "Mom, buy me a camera" comment. It should be fun to see/find this hint slid in to email, facebook and additional blogs throughout the year, until 6/28/10. Good luck with that. :p

Charlotte said...

Forty pounds? Holy cow, no wonder you don't have time to post often enough to meet my weird news needs. Congrats. I am hoping to lose 20 pounds somewhere where I can't find it again. Maybe with my car keys...

I can't believe you don't give up on your dairy hating even for creamers. Soy over milk?!?

ucmama said...

Mom, YOU KNOW IT!

Charlotte, I will deliver some weird news soon. Stay alert. Also, no, I won't do dairy very often, not even for creamers. I'll take cheese on a few things, but not in coffee.

logan said...

Woohoo!! So proud of you!

Charlotte said...

Don't know a lot about coffee, but I think no cheese in it is probably a good idea!

Rebekah said...

40 pounds! That is awesome! I need to lose at least that much. I have a hard time staying motivated. When my diet/exercise regimen gets too difficult, I tell myself I just need to love myself for who I am. Lol. I'm such a cop-out!

ucmama said...

Logan, thanks!

Charlotte, there are actually very few dairy products that would taste good in coffee. A yogurt mocha anyone?

Bekah, When it gets difficult, remind yourself that everyone makes mistakes. Remember that even if you stumble a little on your climb, that you're still moving towards a healthier goal. Visualize climbing a mountain.

Eve said...

but coffee? really? well, if you can withstand the temptation of chocolate and fried chicken(yum) then you can wean yourself of of coffee(yuk)Congratulations of the 40lbs though, I'm going to commit to some of your steps. Thanks for sharing!