Friday, January 01, 2010

2010 should be good.

It started with the kids trying to make breakfast in bed for us, however, when your oldest child is ten, and you smell the stove, you get up quickly. So James and I enjoyed our eggs, hashbrowns, and homemade (by me, buttered by Bud) bread in the kitchen. The house is clean. The laundry is all done. James and I are content with the simplicity of the season.

We had our traditional southern New Years meal. Black-eyed peas, greens, and cornbread. I added roast chicken.

Do you know why we eat such a spare meal (for southerners anyway) on this day? It's not because we're trying to lose the 10 pounds we put on from Thanksgiving to Christmas. No, no. It's because when the Union soldiers took the South, they pillaged whatever there was to eat. What? The War Between the States (don't call it the Civil War, honey, cause war shore ain't civil) is alive and well in the South.

Anyway...
Those left behind had nothing to eat but what the soldiers didn't want. Namely, the greens in the garden and fatback. Now, if you're southern, you know you can make an entire meal out of those two ingredients. So we eat a scant meal to remember the plight of our forefathers. We also eat the peas and greens for luck and wealth. Even when you're eating for the sake of a superstition, it should still taste goooooood!

I'm not making any resolutions. The way to live happily and healthily is already laid out in the scriptures. I plan on making myself a better person this year. One day at a time.

6 comments:

Charlotte said...

Your traditional dinner is better than the PA one- pork and sauerkraut. (Although I will stick with neither!) I lived in NC for 2.5 years and never heard of that meal, but saw lots of people mention it yesterday. Maybe NC isn't far enough south?

Happy New Year!

Mom/Grandmomma said...

Also known, in the South, as the War of Northern Aggression.

ucmama said...

Charlotte, I gots PA roots too and I've never heard of pork and sourkraut for New Years Day. Sup wi' dat, Mom?

Eve, I know :)

Mom, how about Mr. Lincoln's War?
or the Brothers' War?
or The Lost Cause?

Mom/Grandmomma said...

Pork & sauerkraut - German influence; i.e., PA Dutch (Amish). Not something with which my mother was going to bother on New Years Day. She did, at other times, make Polish kielbasa (beef & pork) w/ sauerkraut. Yum!

Mrs Andy said...

I ate plenty of beans and fatback on my mission....in Bulgaria. I acutally like fatback, except for the fact that it's fat, that's kind of gross. It was better than head cheese though, way better. Ate alot of that as a missionary too. Looks like Bulgarians and southerners are culinary cousins.

ucmama said...

Mom, I'm glad you carry on with the tradition too. I just have to help the kids appreciate it now.

East of Eden, I think I would have to develop a pork allergy to serve in Bulgaria. Although, 1.5 yrs. without bacon would be really difficult...