Friday, February 12, 2010

Anybody else ever feel the need to see, smell, be near, be in... big water?
A river, a lake, an ocean?

yeah, me too.

I'm sort of landlocked out here in the Midwest. Luckily there's quite a large river running through town. It's dirty. Like too dirty to eat anything out of it.

But it's there.

Rushing and powerful at its heart. Slow moving eddies at the periphery. Winding and swirling. Dark shadows and a bottomless belly. A belly that holds rusty refrigerators, a car or two, giant man-eating catfish, maybe a body or twenty.

It's not ideal water for me, but I do need to drive miles along its length at times. Surrounded by snow all winter has me feeling a feverish for something other than white and gray. I'm ready for Spring. I want to smell green things. At the grocery store, I push my cart through the flower section. I walk past my baby chives on the window sill at home and inhale deeply. I touch the leaves of the pea plant that Pickles tucked into the soil a month ago.

I need to go camping. I need to go hiking. I need. I need. I need.

Why is water so cleansing? I believe Heavenly Father made our need for water part of the great plan. We can immerse ourselves in this life-giving force and feel the weight, quite literally, removed from our shoulders. We begin our existence in water. We are born in a flood of fluid.

My sign is Cancer. Is that a sign? Ah, astrology, I'll save you for another post.

For now, I'm gonna go take a bath...

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmomma said...

You know I've always said I have the need to be near water. It's got to be genetic. When we used to drive across the 3 mile causeway from Fort Myers to Sanibel, it was so cathartic. I understand your need completely. AND we need that girls trip to Key West!!!

Charlotte said...

I didn't see the ocean until I was an adult, but once I did I fell in love. I know exactly what you mean about water. Unless, of course, I've misunderstood you. In which case, I don't know exactly what you mean.

Mrs Andy said...

I feel the same way about Orange/citrus groves and cactus forrests that you feel about the ocean.

ucmama said...

Yes Mom, yes we do.

Charlotte, I don't think you misunderstood at all. Unless I'm confused. Or startled. In which case, I should probably adjust my meds because neither one of those responses is quite appropriate for me to have.

East of Eden, oranges make me yearn for Florida. For white sand and seashells. Probably the opposite coast from you, eh?