Monday, December 14, 2009

I hope y'all have been well. It's been a lottle crazy round here.We went to GA for Thanksgiving and came back. We got to see pretty much everyone and a good time was had by all. I got to do a little bit of art with Eve. We climbed Stone Mountain (a first for the boys) and went to Waffle House. You know, to complete the GA experience.

I also went crazy. I don't think I'm back from that yet.

But I knew you missed my blogging and I thought I would share a few things that made my week more interesting.

********************************

Conversations with Pickles

Jax (a buddy): Pickles has a secret. He said he's looking at naked ladies on the computer.
me: WHAT???? PICKLES! GET DOWN HERE NOW!!!
(imagine the sound of an alephant on roller skates coming down the stairs)
me: Pickles, why did Jax say you were looking at naked ladies on the computer?
Pickles: Oh, I just told him that so he'd go away. We were really looking at giant millipedes.
me: next time Honey try to be a little less creative and shocking when trying to get someone to go away, ok?

*note: Pickles is an incredibly honest kid. He does not look at naked women online. Apparently, however, we need to work on other issues.

*********************************
Pickles: I can't go to sleep
me: why not?
Pickles: Because my radio won't work and I always go to sleep listening to my stories.
me: Tell a story to yourself. Out loud.
Pickles: I said everyone else is asleep and they won't think my stories are interesting anyway.
me: I said say them to YOURSELF
Pickles: Well, I don't find them that interesting either.

*********************************
We have a snake. She's a ball python named Medusa. She's a good snake and the kids think she's interesting. Medusa eats mice. It's the circle of life, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, mice really aren't that cute, Mickey excluded of course. It was time for Medusa to eat again 4 days ago so I bought a mouse. I put the mouse in the cage with the snake. The mouse did not get eaten. The mouse did however, get named Pancake. So Pancake and Medusa are roommates. At least until Medusa is done shedding and decides that she actually is hungry. I'll keep you updated.

*********************************
Everything here is white. Our house is 109 yrs old, as are many of the surrounding houses. Most of them are painted very pale colors. Pale houses and their yards are covered in snow here. The clouds are heavy and full of snowman seeds. Everything is bright and fairly monochromatic. And it reflects all light. Last night, at midnight, it looked like it was dusk.

I forget about that here. 27 years of being raised in GA is still ingrained in me. Winter should be 60-70 degrees. Scarves should be bought based on their cuteness, not their heat conserving abilities. The sky should bright blue and the trees should stay green. Pansies should bloom.

Not in the Midwest. But I'm OK with that this winter. I'm not sure why; maybe I'm beginning to bloom (like a pansy - insert your own joke here) where I'm planted. Maybe it's wearing me down. Let's go with the blooming, shall we?

6 comments:

logan said...

Glad you're back!

I wonder what it's like being the mouse. Does he live in fear everyday wondering if today is going to be his last? or does he just go on with his mouse business with a snake a few inches away? I've always wanted to see in person a snake eat something...

Rebekah said...

I'm glad you're blogging again! I've missed you. :) I've gotten used to the cold, too. But I still hate it. Pickles is so funny.
We used to have a ball python named Lucy. We gave Lucy to my sis-in-law's then boyfriend, now husband. Well, his mom thought she'd winter the snakes (he had two other ball pythons as well) in her bedroom by shutting off the vents. Uh, except it gets a lot colder here than the snakes would ever get hibernating in the wild (I really don't know what his mom was thinking). Two of the snakes died, and Lucy survived. A short time later, his mom decided to feed Lucy, dropped a rat in with her and just left it over night. Lucy wasn't hungry, and the rat really messed her up. Lucy ended up dying. Sis-in-law's husband was pretty upset at his mom. I was too. It still makes me sad. :(

Also, I wish I could come and see you sometime. This country feels just too big sometimes.

dancin' momma said...

Welcome back! I can't wait to see how it all pans out for Pancake...

Becky said...

Hey lady! I miss you!
Great post! Love the discussion about the computer! I can just see/hear that whole scene!
Ditto on the whole Pancake thing!
Oh winter in the Midwest. Where is really discovered why scarves and boots and huge coats were invented. But on the other hand, I still don't know what it would be like to have flowers blooming at Christmas and blue skies and 60 or 70 degrees! Amazing!
Welcome back! Hang in there crazy mama! Call me anytime!

ucmama said...

logan, I think the mouse alternated between being incredibly surprised/terrified and hungry.

Bekah, I have no response to that.

dancin' momma, you're punny :)

curly, my new best friend is my pashmina!

E said...

so I found the funniest part of this blog to be that pickles doesnt find his stories too terribly interesting himself.... that cracked me up. I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont finish school up there:-(