Saturday, December 26, 2009

Warning to my mom - don't read this at work

I was watching the Nutcracker at the Fox in ATL one year ago today. I was having a fabulous time with my daughter, my sisters, and my mom. We had seats front and center. The Russian stacking dolls were amazing, and the little girls playing the dolls were adorable. The rats did a funkadelic dance and had a bigger part than in previous years. I love how they change the choreography each year while remaining true to the story. Did you know that the Nutcracker has been performed every Christmas season for over 100 years?

It was a night memories are made and it was magical. At intermission, my mom got a phone call from my aunt. My grandfather, who had been doing poorly for several months, had passed away. The rest of the performance was difficult to sit through. He was in Florida and there was nothing we could do but sit and finish. I don't remember much. I was busy holding my sister's hand and trying not to cry at one of the best venues in Atlanta watching a classic ballet.

My grandfather, Harold, a.k.a. the Silverback, Hank, GrandDad, or Geraldo, lived an incredible life. I won't try to cover the whole of it here, but suffice it to say, he definitely made his mark on the world. He was involved in the beginning of the Arby's corporation, he founded a festival in one town he lived in, he raised 5 kids, was a mentor to 10 grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren. GrandDad had 2 loves: my grandmother and my GrandNorma. He had an exquisite sense of humor. With superb timing, a photographic memory, and a wit that I dare say was unmatched, he could turn a phrase in an instant and leave us rolling on the floor.

GrandDad, we love you and miss you terribly. And I would give anything to be able to get you the daily paper, and to make you a cup of some of that world-famous ice tea.

1 comment:

Nobody said...

This is lovely.