Monday, August 02, 2010

A list of smells I find unpleasant yet oddly reassuring...

old lady
skunk
sauerkraut
bleach
asphalt
dirty kid
unwashed seashells brought back from the beach


Change is good, but dollars are better

So, I've decided not to finish the grad program I was enrolled in. 27-32 hours a trimester just wasn't healthy for me or the family. I'm going back to take business and art classes at a lil' community college around here. There were days when I would leave the house before the kiddos got up and not get home till they were in bed. How is that supposed to be a good thing?

So the business thing is to help James with his when he graduates in February. The art thing is because it's what I love to do and why waste your life doing something you don't enjoy?

And now I get to spend more time with the kids, which means more blog fodder, which means more funny for you. It's a win-win-win sitchee-ashon.


Everything's funnier outside, or, the Weekend Camping Trip

*the Hamster felt that toilet paper was unnecessary because we weren't using a "real" bathroom
*Bud found a branch to use as a marshmellow stick. Rather than strip the stick to make one good piercing end for use, he popped about 10 marshmellows on. The giant ones. Have you SEEN those?
*the Hamster still says smarshmellow. There is a threat of death to anyone that tells my last little one the proper pronuncuation.
*The kids are smarter than I am. After James accidentally ripped the tent and about 4 million mosquitos decided to join us, the kids all piled into the suburban to sleep. I toughed it out. So if you call me anytime soon, I won't answer because I'll be busy scratching.
*Fooling around with your husband in a tent filled with that many mosquitos is a BAD BAD idea.
*Don't start singing Bobby McGee at 2 in the morning just because you feel like. It wakes up the dog who is sad already about having to sleep outside rather than on the couch that he's not supposed to sleep on. Said dog will then cry and yelp for the next 20 minutes waking up others in the camping party. Even when you get up and make breakfast for everyone, they will still be mad at you for waking up the dog.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

I'm sad you had to drop the program, but totally excited you have more time to spend with the kids (and blog). The art thing sounds like something you'll really enjoy.

On our vacation someone almost corrected my youngest's pronunciation of marshmallow (harshmallow) and I practically tackled him.

I am trying very, very hard to NOT ask about where one gets bit by mosquitoes while fooling around with husband in torn tent.

Rebekah said...

I applaud your decision. All work and no play makes ucmama a dull girl, right? And a dull ucmama is just weird and wrong and completely unnatural.

Eve said...

One of my favorite posts!! ha ha