Thursday, August 19, 2010

Since I didn't do weird news yesterday, I thought I'd do a quickie today. I also thought I'd write a short little blog post...

Anywho, here's a little story for ya. Some Canadian businessmen used black bears to defend their crop. Now unfortunately, what they're growing is illegal. And feeding the bears dogfood to get them to stay in the area is illegal. So now, about 15 black bears are roont, thousands of dollars were spent in legal fees, and people are going to be locked up.

What was the crop?

Cannabis sativa.

I know I have kind of a controversial view of this plant in some of the circles I run in. Being a member of my church, I should refrain from drugs. I agree with this to an extent, although I think my ideals are quite a bit different from someone who leaves the hospital with a vaccinated circumcised baby and a prescription for anti-depressants.

As I've stated before, I believe that one should be able to grow an herb for personal use in one's garden. I would like to have a marijuana plant nestled in next to my oregano, basil, and chamomile. If I'm stressed, I'd like to be able to make myself a cup of tea to relax instead eating of a fat bowl of ice cream or popping a pill. Now, I realize there are other ways to de-stress, but I feel like it should be my choice whether of not to ingest a particular plant.

The war on drugs is a joke. And although this story is from Canada, the same sort of illogic applies here in this country as well. The govt could have made so much more money sanctioning this farm, taking taxes, and regulating the sale of the plants. No bears would have been harmed, no one would have gone to jail, and those patients who need to use rather than abuse could have had a safer alternative.

All that being said, I feel (as always) that I should post a disclaimer. I don't take this substance into my body. If I did, I'm sure this post would be funnier. Also because it's illegal. So my husband, who is blind, will continue to have problems with his vision, will continue to be in pain, and will continue to remain stressed simply because it is illegal in this state and most of this country to self-medicate with marijuana.

This post could be so much longer, but I'll spare you. I know that most you dear readers, don't advocate the use of this plant for many reasons.

But I bet you'll agree, the story would've been much better if it had been the arresting officers were eating dogfood and smoking pot rather than the bears...

2 comments:

Mikey said...

I've had the pleasure of riling up one guy who works with me at the Church on this subject. He was quite vehemently opposed to the legalization of this devil-plant, even for prescription use. It was also fun to see the slight shock of other coworkers due to me taking my stance. Our culture has gotten so many minds closed up on this one.

Eve said...

Who needs a brownie?