Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How to make grits.

For a friend...

First of all, I'll tell you what grits are.

GRITS are Girls Raised In The South

no, not really.

Grits are ground hominy. So they have a corn-mealy taste.

So Nobody asked what to cook with grits, and how to do it.

I told her it depended on what part of the country she was in. Charleston serves shrimp and grits. I'm from Atlanta, unless you're from GA, then I'm from Snellville. It's near Stone Mtn. We don't eat our grits with shrimp, but I have before. It is g0000-00000d! In Jaw-ja, we eat it as part of a full breakfast. Eggs, bacon, biscuits, hashbrowns, and grits, plus some fruit and juice, with plenty of butter and jam.

So buy some quick grits. The instant ones are OK, but if you want a full-on gritty experience, go for the quick ones.

A word of caution before you get started, NEVER make grits or bacon naked! Just take my word for it.

1. Boil as much water as you need for as many people will be eating, and make just a bit extra. If the 3 yr-old doesn't climb up after everyone else is done and eat the remaining grits with his hands, then there will be a little for the dogs. I use a stainless steel pot, so I fill it halfway with water.

2. Take the ridiculously small container of grits that they sell here in the Midwest, (apparently people don't buy bulk grits here) and add about a third of it. Using a whisk, keep that water going while you pour the grits in. You can always tell a Yankee from a true Southerner by their lumpy grits. Keep whisking it until it's a soupy consistency. Then switch over to a big spoon for stirrin'. You may want to use a smallish piece of tin foil to cover the pot to keep from getting gritty burns on your hands and arms.

3. When it gets close to being done, (you'll know because that's when the biscuits start to smell done too) turn off the burner. Let it sit a little while you clean off the table from last-night's dinner and set it for breakfast. Then add some butter, a little salt, white pepper if you're feeding pepperphobic kids or black pepper for grown-ups, and a few slices of cheese. Don't add these things while they're cooking. It has to be done after the grits are cooked thoroughly. Again, just trust me.

4. Make sure to let some water sit in your grits pot after you cook 'em and eat 'em. Unless you need some grit cement to patch some holes in the driveway. Patch quickly.

5. Should there be any leftovers, as blasphenous as that is, just throw them in yard at the dogs. This will provide after-breakfast entertainment.

I also have a confession to make. For a short while when I was about 11, I ate my grits with butter and sugar...

I know, I had to do the Tomahawk chop for 30 minutes for penance.

So that's howyadoit.

any questions?

12 comments:

Olivia Meikle said...

But what about grits with the cheese baked on the top after akll that? That's how we do it in No'Caahlyna.

M.Howerton said...

Can I just come over to your house and YOU make them for me?

Thanks!

I sort of like Hominy. Not too much though, so it might take some convincing that these are good, like serving with sugar. :)

InkMom said...

Thank you, my friend. You have provided a desperately needed public service. I, of course, already know how to make grits, even down to the "when the biscuits smell done" bit . . . but there are so many out there who just don't know how much of the grits boat they are missing. Enjoy, everyone!

Leah said...

mmm, grits with pepper jack cheese and a fried egg on top, heaven in the a.m.

Rebekah said...

Holy crap, the Tomahawk chop! That's funny. And yet, so incredibly fitting. Grits are so delicious. Chris won't eat them, though. I don't really care; there's just more for me.

NOBODY said...

I did cheese and shrimp. I think I did a good job with the consistency, for a first-timer. Of course, I owe it all to your great directions.

I think I'd rather eat grits covered in chocolate though.

Eve said...

My aunt in Utah made them with a sunny-side egg on the bottom, and the grits, a little runny, on the top. It was really good.

And Michelle, I am going to send you a check for cookies, I forgot :(

Olivia Meikle said...

I totally miss you today.

Becky said...

Grew up on hominy (don't ask me how in Utah, that happened), but never tried grits. I will have to!
Oh, and thanks for the lesson and the naked tip! That definantly changes my cooking plans! (0:

Wendy said...

You so got me craving some grits now. I didn't know the whisk trick--now I can move beyond yankee status. Yahoo!

Super Happy Girl said...

Like my mama always says: When in doubt, claim Mexicanity.

I am not 100% sure about those there grits. Maybe you need to make them for me.

ucmama said...

Sounds like we need to have a party. And only serve grits. Yeah, c'mon!