Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Weird News Wednesday (with a 5 grits warning)

I figured since I took the last couple Wednesdays off, I could fulfill your weird news needs today. You can thank me later. If you need any suggestions, I do need a new digital camera.

I get my news from various sources. I like to check a few different international news sites, as well as national and local. This story is a couple days old, so if you've heard about it already, oh well.

Honda has created a robot that is controlled by your thoughts.

I know!

Before your brain goes wild with the possibilities, let me tell you what the article suggested: A car that drives itself.

Big deal. Who cares about a car that can drive itself, when you can have a whole set of minions? I could think about doing laundry, and then my laundry robot would do it for me. I could think about making dinner, and my chef robot could do it.

I would never have to do any of those boring things, like read to my kids, or bathe them, or play outside with them. I could just lie around, thinking about doing all those things. It would be great!

That wasn't very sincere, was it?

You, I'm sure, dear reader, being the extremely astute person that you are, picked up on the sarcasm right away.

This type of technology is very exciting in it's design phases, but how will this make human life better? Will this mean that govts can create robot armies to wipe out other countries that don't have this technology? Because that's what most leaders think about when they have access to new technology. How to apply it to warfare. Brilliant! Let's make nano-robots that can infest an entire enemy's territory!

Or nano-robots, controlled by some geeks at the Pentagon, spying on all of us, Big Brother style?
*An apology to all my Pentagon-employed geek readers, I certainly don't mean you*

I hope this doesn't overload you with conspiracy theories too early in the morning, but that's just sort of where my brain is lately. Maybe it's the weather. It's kind of difficult to be cheery with ominous Midwestern clouds looming overhead. Will we get snow today? Or rain? Or tornadoes with flooding? I don't know!

Maybe we need some robots controlling the weather too...

5 comments:

M.Howerton said...

ooooh, I could use some of those servant robots. and that is not sarcastic at all!
Now if someone would create a magic pill that makes children obey, the world would be so much more fun.
For me.

Empress Of All Things said...

first off, ive always thought we should have cars that drive themselves and have little chips in them to detect when other cars are nearby...(it would cut down on accidents due to stupid drivers)

and yes i would love to have minions!!!!!!! MINIONS... muhahahaha

that last part of your blog reminded me of halfbaked with the guy whos showing chappelle the dollar... anyway it made me giggle

Thehereandnow said...

Yeah. The government will do evil things with thought robots. Every sci-fi fan KNOWS that is the truth. Still...would a laundry robot be so bad??

Becky said...

I would only use those robots for "good"!!!

Super Happy Girl said...

I could get my Personal Robot to write my blog for me!!
I could be on permanent blog vacation! MWAHAHAHA.

FYI, this is how Skynet starts.