Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Anyone have a sweet tooth?

Do any of you have a 5 year-old that has had an accident? And that accident is the first one they've ever had since getting out of diapers? And that same 5 year-old can become very embarrassed very quickly? And is also incredibly sensitive about things of that nature? Well we do, and he did. And my heart hurt for him and I wanted to make the whole thing not have happened. So as calmly as I could, I helped him clean up and then hugged him tight. And it is still going to bother him and make him slightly freak the next time he has to use the bathroom. Which may be at school tomorrow. And I won't be there to help him calm down. So I will say a little prayer just for him. And I made it VERY clear to the other kids that they are to pretend like it didn't happen and they are never to mention it again. And I think that's how Heavenly Father treats us when we make a mistake. Not sin, mind you. Just something embarrassing or a slight transgression. It's how we should treat each other. In this highly charged political climate, we would do well to remember that most people try hard to do the right thing and help each other. Especially if they're 5.

3 comments:

Eve said...

awww... did he do what i think he did? that happened to my friend's little boy and he was afraid of the toilet for a long time :(

sarah said...

Yes. Yes. Yes (especially embarrassed). Yes. And my heart ached also. And I also threatened the life of his siblings if they ever mentioned it again.

NOBODY said...

Well I'll be! My 5 year old, JUST TODAY had an accident. Teacher said no, bladder said go, it was done.

He was pretty embarrassed. In fact, I believe there was some wailing and there were some body slams (him, not me) on the bathroom floor.

I told him it happens pretty easily, in fact, "just the other day I had an accident and look how old I am!!" All you can do is clean up and move on. Somehow, this time, it worked.

On the other hand, one time he unloaded his entire insides on my bathroom floor and walls and didn't bat an eye in embarrassment. So I can't be sure what's going on in that head of his.

You are a good mom.