Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bob Barr

Wait, who is Bob Barr? He's running for President.
Of what? The United States
Of America? Yes
I thought only Obama and McCain are running. No, there are others running too.
Hmmmm, well who is he? Well, I'll tell ya...


So, Barr has been a part of the GA political scene for around 30 years. He's done some good things there. I hear he's a good person. I also know that he was against some of the things that W implemented after the 9/11 attacks. He is for more civil liberties than most Republicans.

Ok, my problems with Bob Barr are these:
1. I think he's opposed to the use of medical marijuana even though he says now that he's aligned with it. He did a 180 on his position regarding from 2002 to 2007. This is in direct opposition to the Lib. platform. I do agree with it's regulated use, but even if I didn't, I would have a hard time reconciling his lack of support of the party's position that's he's running with. A lot of people are afraid that legalizing this plant will create a nation of potheads who run amok. Not true.
2. He's a member of ACLU. In theory, the ACLU supports peoples' rights, in actuality, the ACLU sticks their nose where it doesn't belong and completely ignores others issues where it should stick its nose. Maybe more on this later.
3. He voted for the Patriot Act. While he later said he regretted his pro vote, he's a big boy and should have thought it through before his yes vote. Again, this is completely at odds with the Lib. party's platform.

"1.2 Personal Privacy

We support the protections provided by the Fourth Amendment to be secure in our persons, homes, and property. Only actions that infringe on the rights of others can properly be termed crimes."
http://www.lp.org/platform

4. He supports banning Wicca as a religion in the military. While not in direct opposition to Lib. principles, it does go against the ideals of personal liberty.


Let's discuss why he's OK.
1. He supports the Fair Tax and/or a consumption tax. I know you don't like this plan Big Jay, but I do. We can discuss it later if you'd like :)
2. He likes Social Security Reform. I like that too. Let's privatize - BIG TIME!
3. He is seriously disappointed in the UN. I advocate kicking them out of our country :)
4. Personal gun ownership. The right to protect ourselves. 'Nuff said.
5. He voted YES to make partial-birth abortion. Can I just make a side note here to say that the BIG O voted present on this one? PRESENT?!? You just happened to be there when everyone else was deciding whether it was murder to extract a baby and then kill it? No O-pinion Obama? Barr voted that it was wrong. While I'm politically pro-choice (I think I should be able to make that choice rather than the govt), partial-birth abortion is wrong.
There are countless other reasons shown by his voting record that he would be a good choice.

Go here is you'd like to see.
http://www.ontheissues.org/Bob_Barr.htm

I had a friend ask if I thought voting Lib. was throwing away my vote. I emphatically believe that if I vote the way that aligns with my heart and mind, then it is NOT a wasted vote. I remain true to myself and let my voice be heard. If more people weren't afraid that they were throwing away their vote, the Lib. party would be taken more seriously. This country was never meant to be a 2-party political system.

And that's the way I see it.