Monday, October 27, 2008

I took Pickles to Boy Scouts tonight. We went on a field trip and one of the things we saw was the house that belonged to the guy that founded the town we live in. The following ensued:
Pickles: What was the name of that guy?
me: It was Colonel ______
Pickles: I thought his name was George
me: It is, but he was a Colonel in the military
Pickles: Ohhhhhh...so he was really small?

He also told another scout, who didn't seem to think it was as cute as I did, that if we were bears, we'd all be about to start hibernating. Wouldn't it be great if humans hibernated? We could use up all our stored fat, get a break from everything, and be ready to start anew in the spring.
Would you like to know a few hibernation facts? You couldn't care less? Oh well...

Squirrels do not hibernate. I always sort of thought they did.
There is a type of bird called the Poorwill that hibernates.
Bears do not truly hibernate, since their temperatures remain fairly stable and they can be easily aroused.
There is a lemur that hibernates, and it is the only primate known to do so.

So aren't you glad you came by? You got a chance to read a funny Pickles story AND learn some fun facts to share at your next party and/or job interview.

3 comments:

Eve said...

So Spongebob Squarepants needs to get the facts straight that Sandy the Squirrel should not really be hibernating, thus they would not have had to shave all her fur off to stay warm.

ucmama said...

I'm quite surprised by the inaccuracies in SpongeBob. I thought that by letting my kids watch that show for hours at a time, they were getting some really good scientific information. I guess I need to switch to the Wild Thornberries.

Olivia Meikle said...

See, this is another reason we are friends. Because I DO enjoy getting this kind of information, and I WILL pass it on to others throughout the week.