Thursday, October 30, 2008

These are the people in my neighborhood. They're the people that you meet when you're walking down the street. They're the people in my neigh - bor - hood.

Crazy old guy who dresses like a lady. Who pushes a shopping cart and has long curly gray hair. Who wears heels, skirts, and tank tops. Who, thankfully, keeps his/her issues to him/herself.

Dirty Indian (self professed). Who wears a straw hat with no top to it, for air conditioning he says. Who walks his 3 dogs on a mix of belts/chains/and leashes. And tells my kids weird stories. But doesn't really bother me too much, since he never propositions them and is very kind.

Various can collecting urban outdoorsmen. Who ask me for change. And I always answer with, "Do you think I'd live in this neighborhood if I had money?"

We also have a shopping cart that is on a different corner every morning. I've never seen anyone move it. Don't worry though, it's not like it follows me around while creepy music plays.

7 comments:

Olivia Meikle said...

Well, as long as no creepy music is playing, then . . .

Eve said...

I actually started singing your blog to the Semsame Street song about people in your neighborhood, until I couldn't make the second paragraph fit. Then I realized it wasn't supposed to be sung to, in that tune anyway. I reposted pictures of Jenifer's and Kirsten's artwork on my blog.

ucmama said...

I will try very hard in the future to make sure that my blogs can be sung to well known tunes :) Public domain of course, because I don't want to have to pay royalties.

sarah said...

Hey, I drove in your neighborhood the other night. The people I saw weren't near as friendly sounding and I got out of there as soon as I could!!

ucmama said...

Ok B, but my reads my blog sometimes and I don't want to scare her unduly :)

dancin' momma said...

Pretty sure we live in the same neighborhood. Might have seen these people knocking on my door...asking for $. Your response is so much better than my plain old no.

ucmama said...

I meant my mom...