Thursday, March 19, 2009

I was sitting in my truck at Walmart last night on the phone.

I was sitting in my truck because I can't shop and talk at the same time.

So I was sitting in my truck and I feel a bump. Some one had backed into me while I was in my truck! I jumped out as they were about to race off. They saw me and got out too.

Now, I drive a Suburban. I would have to be smashed between 2 semis for my truck to get a dent, but still.

me: What are you doing?
Stupid Dude: Huh? Oh sorry.
me: Watch what you're doing!
Stupid Dude: I said sorry. It was an accident.
me: Well, you can't just go around hitting other people's cars!
Stupid Dude: I didn't mess up your car, I just tapped you.
me: Yes, but it's MY car! Be careful!
Stupid Dude: OK, sorry.
me: Whatever.

OK, so this sort of highlights how I talk to strangers. But only strangers who do stupid things. I leave most strangers alone.

This was at the "nice" Walmart too. Usually I shop at the Simpsons Walmart. That's what I call it because all the shoppers there look like Simpsons characters. Think Moe, or Cletus the Slack-jawed Yokel. Yeah, I shop there too, but I'm more like the pretty celebrity doing a cameo.

They're renovating the nice Walmart, although honestly I don't know how they could improve it. It's already everything I could ask for in a shopping experience.

I went shopping late last night. I do this to avoid shopping with children. I wait until they're in bed, then I take "me" time to go buy Pull-ups and cereal. Actually, I did have kind of a nice time by myself, minus the Stupid Dude tapping my bumper. I got to talk to my sista-friend Eve, and then I went to Nobody's to talk politics with J hang out for an hour or so. So I actually did get to have some grown-up conversation. You'd think I'd be able to have grown-up conversations at school. You'd think that, but you'd be wrong.

I'm taking a philosophy class. It's a philosophy class based on the degree that I'm getting. It's sort of anti-Western medicine philosophy. So I sat through an hour of brainwashing philosophy yesterday. The professor blah-blahed on about how terrible MD's are and how backwards allopathic medicine is. Finally I'd had enough. I raised my hand and said that I thought what he was saying was all well and good, but if I cut my arm off, I'm going to the hospital. I also told him that 99% of people who go into Medicine are in it to help people. They truly want to help people be healthy. He listened politely and changed the subject.

I don't think my philosophy prof will invite me out for drinks anytime soon.

6 comments:

M.Howerton said...

I love your conversations with Strangers- no wonder we get along so well.
We should do our toilet paper shopping late at night together, I go all the time for ME time. Seriously call me next time, I am sure I could think of something I need, like, um..

AND I shop the nice wal-mart ALL the time, so no risk of the goons from the other one.
Can you believe it? Our town is so big that we actually have 2 of those places and the fact that either of them are nicer is just hilarious to me. The better half refuses to go there with me. Oh well- his loss. :)

Becky said...

Oh, the Simpsons Walmart. It really is!!! R and I have been searching for a way to describe it and you did it! You would totally be the Famous Cameo. Me, I kind of think of myself as Marge. There are nights that I have that hair and R does like donuts!
Your experience with the Stupid Stranger reminds me of a scene from a movie... "Well, I'm older and have more insurance!!!". Gotta love it!
Thanks for expressing my thoughts so well about Western Medicine. R was sitting in orientation listening to a few people "cheer" for the downfall of Western medicine. I, too, believe that a large majority of people who go into medicine want to help people. My mother is a nurse and my brother is a PA and my children's pediatrician back home is a saint!!!
FYI- I am much cooler than any teacher you have, so we can go get drinks anytime!! Who needs to him anyway?!
Oh wait, you do. You have to sit there for a whole tri! Sorry lady!

Anonymous said...

Surprise!!
:D

ucmama said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlotte said...

We accidentally signed up for "I hate western medicine" birthing classes when we were having our first. As we watched a video of a woman squatting while pushing, we decided to not tell anyone Peter was headed to med school. They might have killed us.

NOBODY said...

"but I'm more like the pretty celebrity doing a cameo"

made me have a convulsing, wheezing, coughing fit.

NOT. Nice.