Tuesday, March 03, 2009

You know what I love? Besides those fun fabrics down there in the last post, I mean. I love mangoes. I could eat 2 or 3 mangoes at once. But it has been 9 years since I've eaten one. Guess why.

I'll give you a minute...

Give up?

Because I have an extreme sensitivity to them. Not necessarily the fruit, as my extremely scientific research, i.e. internet searches, has discovered, but merely the skin of the fruit.

Apparently the skin of mangoes is filled with oils that are chemically similar to poison ivy. Yeah. Mangoes are part of the poison sumac family. So peeling 2 mangoes with my teeth and eating them whole 6 hours before my cousin's wedding was a BAD, BAD idea. It's not pretty to have a swollen itchy face/lips/eyes at a wedding.

The fruit by itself is supposedly OK. It's just the skin. So I WILL be buying a mango at the store the next time I go. I just will have James peel it for me.

I'll keep you updated about my reaction, or hopefully lack of.

6 comments:

Becky said...

First, pictures please?
Second, good luck today with the mango.
My brother (on his mish. in Venezuela) ate 3 mangoes every morning for breakfast and every evening at dinner. They had a mango tree in their yard. He loves them, too!

logan said...

Thanks how Tim is too. Well all skins of fruit bother him. Does this happen to you with peach skin?

XO

ucmama said...

Curly, I said it's NOT pretty!

Logan, I can still do peaches, but kiwi fur make my lips tingly :)

Eve said...

Tingly, huh? I have never reacted to the skin of fruit. But I do react to Virginia Creeper the way a person would react to poison ivy- it stinks!!

InkMom said...

My husband loves mangoes, too, and he hasn't eaten one in . . . 14 years. Why? He served his mission in Australia where they're, apparently, way better than the ones we get here, which he says aren't even worth eating in comparison to the true mangoes of the southern hemisphere. And I thought I was a food snob.

ucmama said...

InkMom, I refuse to eat the peach-a-likes here in the MidWest.

They have better corn here. But that doesn't really make up for all the other things that make it not the south. 2 more years...