Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Warning: A highly gritty post

This is an article about a movement. A movement where black families decide to only buy products from black-owned businesses. It's slanted as a feel-good human interest story.

It actually really pisses me off.

Lemme 'splain.

What if I decided to only buy from white people? What if I called ahead to see who picked up the phone? What if I walked into a store, and asked to who the owner was, and then decided to only shop there if the owner's name "sounded white"?

What kind of reception do you think I would get? A nice news article discussing how I'm supporting other white people?

So it's a wonderful thing for a black family to only shop at black-owned businesses to show pride in their race, huh?

Bullshit.

It's another way to divide the nation.

If you want to build this country,
If you want to support your neighbors,
If you want to put money into the economy so we can stop this recession,

Then spend money in stores based on:
The principles they espouse,
How they present their business' mission statement,
and how they offer customer service.

That being vented said, I also think everyone should have the right to shop wherever they damn well please.

So now I'm off to buy Scout supplies from a white lady, get my dress hemmed by an Asian lady, and get a new phone from a black guy...

5 comments:

M.Howerton said...

Love IT!!!

You- not them.

And I say Them, when "They" all get together and decide that by separating themselves farther from the rest of the human race is not racist or creating more racism!!
That was a good ol home grown story and the person who decided that it was just that is also an IDIOT!!
The only point they are making is that they themselves are racists.
Maybe after the year is up they will realize that they have actually made a mistake and that they have impacted their children in ways that you cannot fix.

That's sad.

InkMom said...

Well said, sister.

And may I add: buy local! Buy from someone who doesn't answer to a corporate fake person in some other state! More of your dollars make it into your local economy when you spend them with people who also care about where you live.

Mikey said...

The real winners in this scenario are the oil sheiks. 14-mile trips to the grocery store plus a divided America? Double win!!

Becky said...

What a load of crap! I am totally tired of people crying racism on all white people! It's one of those double standards that we all live with!

ucmama said...

ladies, ladies! simmer down now...
The people in the article aren't anti-white people. They are trying to do a good thing, and I think they just don't understand the implications of what they're doing. That's what I was trying to vent about.

but thank you for your thoughts too. I like it when I can get a good discussion going.