Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I pledge allegience to the flag of the United States of America
And to the Republic, for which it stands
One nation, under God
Through liberty and justice for all
Amen

I think are some positive aspects of the results of the election. I think there are far too many negative blogs/news stories out there, and even a few of my posts have been kind of down. So here are a few of my thoughts on this historic occasion.

1. Black Americans can now feel like their vote matters. I think a lot of white Americans underestimate the amount of negative vibes, for lack of a better brain...er, word, that black folks feel sometimes. Lemme 'splain. Lots of white folks say, yeah, history sucked, but move forward and stop whining. Most white folks do NOT think the white "race" is superior to the black "race." That is my experience anyway, and unless you are new to my blog, you know I grew up in the South. There was a lot of prejudice from both sides down there, but not as much actual racism. I'm not gonna deny that there is racism in the South, from both sides, but it's more about assuming generalizations. K, so hopefully having a black pres will help everyone feel more connected as Americans and stop looking at things through race colored glasses. And as a bonus, maybe Jesse Jackson would be out of a job. I may be totally off on my presumptions about how black folks see it, but I think I may be on to something.

2. Next point. We will most likely NOT have a terrorist attack on our soil in the next 4 years. That is actually quite comforting to me, since I have lurved ones living in some big cities. And I don't want any Americans dying. I still get teary-eyed when I think about the Twin Towers coming down. I think with Obama being pres, other countries around the world will be more willng to hate us less. I have many other thoughts on this too, but this is a positive blog, remember?

3. I'm REALLY looking forward to exploration in alternative fueling options. I think our dependence on foreign oil is assinine. We are intelligent enough to come up with something else and now is the time. We have, relatively, endless amounts of free resources in wind and sun. Why the crap aren't we putting more research into that rather than subsidizing farmers to grow soil sapping, expensive, polluting corn ethanol. Obviously paying farmers to grow corn does not gaurantee votes, huh W?

I've got to run Sassafras to church, but I wanted to get some thoughts down. I've been kind of depressed today thinking about the issues that I'm not in favor of, i.e. national healthcare and I needed to do something to perk myself up. So this is what I came up with. Hope you likey.

3 comments:

Eve said...

I like your clock there. I feel the same way. I mean, there are a lot of things to not like about Obama being the new president, and one of them is not that he is black. That is the cool thing. I kind of wish that I could have been in Chicago to hear him speak, but all the 'Bama-lovers were ogling him like the... "Savior" of our nation? Gives me the creeps that people would put that much faith in one man. (History tends to repeat itself.)

Olivia Meikle said...

#2--exactly, and #3--exactly.

Go, Gritty!

Olivia Meikle said...

Also, I think your humility is one of the things that makes you so much better than everyone else.