Sunday, November 09, 2008

I went to the mall the other day to pick out a pretty dress for a party I had to attend for Dr. Husband's school. This is not familiar territory for me so I made to sure to stop and get a mall field guide before I went in. I needed to know if there were any newly discovered creatures since I was a teenager. I was expecting the usual skanks and whathaveyou. This is the Midwest, so there were plenty of mullety types walking around too. I went too late to see the fit seniors powerwalking.


One species I totally should have been wary of was the kiosk skin care lady. When you visit the mall as infrequently as I do, you just forget that there's snake oil salespeople at every kiosk. So she did her thing and wasted my time for about 10 minutes. Then when she was trying to grab my wallet and push cleansers down my throat, I yelled "Look at that girl's skin over there!" She turned around and I pulled my arm away and sort of ran away. I was pretty proud of myself for outwitting the kiosk lady without having to chew my arm off.

What I wasn't expecting though, was the guy sitting at the manicure station next to me. I only get my nails done once or twice a year, so I kind of look forward to the experience. Apparently the guy next to me was really into it. He was finishing up as I was getting started. I don't have a problem with guys getting their nails did, because nasty craggy fingers are kind of gross. I wouldn't reccommend french tips to most guys though.

So anyway, this guy looked like a delivery person of some kind or other. Not that there's anything wrong with that. He's waiting for his clear polish to dry and he starts making faces at himself in the mirror that covers the wall behind the manicurists. Like cutesy faces. He wrinkled his nose up. And made coy little smiles to himself. And puckered his lips ever so slightly. Then he turned to the lady doing my nails and said "I feel so beautiful!"

There was nothing in the field guide covering that one.

5 comments:

sarah said...

Being ever so familiar with the snake oil salespeople at this mall, I'd have to pass on my advice: Walk as far away from the center kiosks as possible. This might present a problem as far as running into people coming out of stores, but it's well worth it. And whatever you do, avoid eye contact!! Do not look at the people in the kiosks. If they start talking to you, act like you are deaf and/or they really mean to talk to the person behind you. This ought to help at least a little bit.

M.Howerton said...

I love how you got away from the greasers! I detest those people and their product!
I have a jar of that stuff upstairs, but not because they caught me - oh no, the hubby thought he was doing something great. ugh!
Love the post - still laughing about the nail guy!

NOBODY said...

HAHAHAHA! You're so funny!

I don't get scared easily, but those kiosk sales people scare me.

NCS has a great approach--you could try it next time. Avoid any threat of arm chewing.

http://mascowbell.blogspot.com/2008/07/ncs-stops-being-rude-3.html

Olivia Meikle said...

Hey, those skin care people got me too! Are they the ones for Italy (though I question the validity of the accent)? Luckily I have a good excuse now. "Moving halfway across the world. Not allowed to bring fluids. Leave me alone!"

My hands did smell really good though.

ucmama said...

Yes, they were the ones with the curiously vague accents. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who had a fight or flight response to the skin cleanser lady.