Thursday, December 18, 2008

1 grit

OK, I was gonna do a political post, but this story was cooler. It discusses the possibilty that we used to have more than one moon.

So I was feeling a little riled up politically lately, but it sort of dampens my Christmas spirit and I'm just not that interested right now. It's hard to be conspiratorial when the entire house smells like hard candy cooling on the stove. I had a clerk at Walmart the other day ask me if I had noticed that most people were having a hard time getting into Christmas this year. I'm not having a hard time, but I guess a Walmart clerk would be in a better position to take an informal sociological survey about attitudes.

(I'm actually sincere about this - I do realize that the sentence I just wrote could go either way with my personality)

I hope that all of you are in a happy happy holiday type of mood, because there's so many other things to be depressed about right now.

I was thinking the other day that my kids have never done Secret Santa shopping at their schools. When I was a kid, they would fill tables with all kids* of junk that we could buy for our family members. It was really nice to be given a few dollars and be able to pick out gifts for my sisters and parents. I don't know how many mini driver sets or blue rabbits' feet my dad needed, but the sentiment was nice. It's pretty sad that the kids have to celebrate holiday parties instead of making gifts at school. PC blah, blah, blah. Yeah I get that, but don't most religions have some tradition of gift giving this time of year?

Mur Chri'mus from the L******s

OK, gotta run. Lots of stuff to do...

*my editor made me a aware of a typographical error - it should be KINDS, not kids, of junk

3 comments:

M.Howerton said...

I love your take on the wal-mart employee, I am still laughing! Hilarious!!
I used to do secret Santa shopping as a kid and Chan did it at his school in WA. It was our favorite present, it is interesting to see how your children think of you for less than $3.

looking forward to your next political post.:)

NOBODY said...

Oh my gosh, I forgot about the magic of rabbit's feet. I was forever trying to earn enough to purchase one of those. Why? Ew?

My favorite part of this post:
"they would fill tables with all kids of junk that we could buy"

What do they call the selling of junky kids in Georgia? Is that a public service, or a crime?

Becky said...

I love the holidays! I know that some people don't, but it's my favorite time of the year! I posted on it today!