Friday, December 12, 2008

Posting Level: 2 grits

see profile for grittiness posting levels

A joke by Sassafras

A guy went to the doctor and said,
"I think my butt is broken. I fell down pretty hard and now there's a crack in it."

She's so clever.

My grandmother used to say, "Aren't you just so clever?" She would say this when we were extra sassy and she didn't want to say we were being a smartass. She was nice like that.

I told Sassafras her joke was funny but not to tell it around grown-ups. Was that bad? I kind of think that kids need to have things that are quasi-secrets from adults. I don't want my kids to think I'm all over them all the time. That they can have their space, but that I'll be there for them if they need me.

I know an amazing mom who raised her kids alone. They were really wild as teenagers. Oh you had a wild period when you were a teenager? Well multiply that by 100 and these kids were that bad. Not mean, they just made terrible choices. OK, so I was there too sometimes, but I'm not judging, just trying to explain. So anyway, they were very naughty. And this mom just loved them. That's all she could do. She gave them a place to live, she gave them food, she gave them a good example of how to treat others, she gave them her testimony, and she gave them love. So they were naughty for several years. But these kids have all grown up to be really amazing people. Productive, intelligent, caring people.

I was also talking to a friend about their little girl who wouldn't take off her favorite dress for a week straight. Now if she was my little girl, I would have wrestled the dress off her and thrown her into a tub. Or maybe into the tub WITH the dress on. But what would that have proven? That I didn't respect her or her body. And that I was bigger so that made me the boss. Not such a good thing to teach a kid.

So what I'm trying to say is that I really think the best way to raise kids is with love and respect. These two moms both have kids that make them crazy sometimes. And that's OK. Those kids KNOW their moms love them. No matter what.

Don't worry MOM, you're my favorite. I just know you don't really like being spotlighted. But just so everyone knows, my mom is awesome. She always works really hard to let us know she loves us. Even though I'm the favorite...

*side note*
the moon will be physically closer to the earth tonight than it usually is. So the moon will look bigger and brighter. And the tides will be higher than normal. So don't go camping on the beach tonight in CA or you may get your jammies wet.

11 comments:

Becky said...

awesome mamas rock!

logan said...

haha, i love your kids! and you of course. you're one AMAZING mom. i only hope to be as good as you.

M.Howerton said...

it took me awhile, but I soon discovered that getting on the level of my kids and showing respect to them and their opinions that they actually returned the respect. Not so much yelling as better communication now. I hope that I can be like the mom's you've mentioned.
This is a nice post.

Rebekah said...

Hey, thanks for airing my family's dirty laundry. Heh, just kidding. It's not like it's a secret that we were all pretty awful. Now that I have a kid, I respect my mom even more for putting up with our crap. She is awesome, isn't she?

Also, Sassafras' joke made me and my husband laugh. Butt jokes are funny, I don't care who you are. Well, except for my grandmas. They didn't like butt jokes.

ucmama said...

I meant everyone except you Bekah. You were, and are, practically perfect in every way. And I wrote all that with love, so sorry if was too informative. I didn't cite any specific incidences if that makes you feel any better.

Anonymous said...

she just tells you you are the favorite cause she feels bad that yall are so far away.... im really the favorite:-).... love E

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rebekah said...

No, I really was kidding. Anyone who knows us and reads your blog probably knew us as teenagers or at least has heard stories. Sorry if I made you feel bad. You roxors, and I love you.

ucmama said...

You're so silly B. I love you too :)

Anonymous said...

I love the example of the "wild kids" who turned out to be great adults. Also, the one about the girl with the dirty pink dress with polka dots on it. Oh wait, you never said it was pink...

So, I'm late to the game, but I just want to say that I am here to testify that you are speaking the truth, you've told me the same things about your mom that you wrote here---just in case your mom thinks you say things you don't mean. HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA.

Your side note made me laugh. Today Bo remembered the moon bidness, two days too late. He stood in the bathroom door, pantless, because he remembered AFTER going to the bathroom but BEFORE putting his pants back on---and cried. He even got mad at me about it. How is that EVEN fair.
Another reason I should have read your blog two days ago....

Olivia Meikle said...

Hey! Lemmy did the EXACT SAME THING last night! Only with pants on. But I also got in trouble for making him miss the phenomenon Mrs. Teacher told them about, by moving. Sigh.

What, this isn't Nobody's comments? What?

I like both of your parentings, so keep on keepin on.