Saturday, December 13, 2008

Things I have learned since moving to the Midwest - 1 Grit

1. Scarves actually have a purpose. They are not just a winter accessory. They are not just for looking pretty. There are also actual ways to tie a scarf and if you don't tie it here, it will be blown away in a Midwestern gust.

2. The ground is not stable here for several months out of the year. In GA, the ground does not suddenly betray you and send you flying. Here, even if it doesn't look particularly slippery, the ice will take you down. It will TAKE YOU DOWN!

3. People here are not cold. They are polite. They think they are minding their own business. If you are from the South though, you will think they are being cold. The difference is that they are being rudely polite. Southerners are politely rude. These midwesterners just don't get it, bless their hearts.

4. The weather can change drastically without a whole lot of warning. Tomorrow is supposed to be 56 degrees and Monday is supposed to be 15. Niiiiice...

5. A lot of people that live here are actually from here.

6. They really do have the best corn. And Wisconsin really does have the best cheese. Although I cannot handle the squeak from the curds.

7. There are a LOT of Democrats here. Be careful about expressing opposing views. Or just rant on your blog instead.

8. Americans are pretty much the same everywhere. Most of us are good most of the time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

its bless their little hearts- e

Becky said...

#1- Amen! First time really USING a scarf!
#2- Sheesh, I know! Ice!
#3- That is certainly different. I learned that people are just polite and doing them thing. That's cool.
#4- Hence the pouring down scary rain today and it will be in sheets of ice tomorrow (see #2).
#5- Yeah, it's nice to meet people from here. They are great!
#6- My hubby warned me about how wonderful the worn was and he was right. I will have to experience the cheese (but I do enjoy the squeak).
#7- I have only seen a little of that in the 2 months here, but I am bracing myself.
#8- Most of the time I am good!

Anonymous said...

I loved this! So funny!
2 and 3 made me laugh out loud.

Who knew talking about the weather could be so....interesting!

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with 1 and 3! You are too funny and keeping me up past my bedtime.

Charlotte said...

When my husband and I moved to my home state in the midwest, I left the car and said, "It feels like home!" He said, "That's the humidity." Not everyone likes to feel like their swimming through the air? Or ice storms? Or inbreeding? Sorry, that last one went too far.

ucmama said...

The humidity doesn't get to me Charlotte. I'm from GA. They live with 100% humidity all summer. Which is pretty strange, since they are perpetually in a drought. Go figure. And I doubt you could go too far on this blog, plus that's why I moderate the comments - HA! And I rather like having to drink my air.