Saturday, January 31, 2009

3.5 grits

The Massachusetts DMV will allow people to choose their own gender to put on their driver's licenses now. That means a man can use the women's restroom if he wants to. Would you feel comfortable with that?

On the other hand, if someone truly feels like a woman trapped in a man's body, or vice verse, and they've been living and dressing as a woman/man, is it appropriate for a police officer or security guard to make them prove their gender to use the restroom?

When I read or hear stories about gender confusion, I feel very sad for that person. And I also think that there has to be genetic components to their decision. Why in the world would someone decide to live their life with pain and confusion about something so fundamental to who they are?

4 comments:

jm said...

Totally agree! I feel bad for them..... I mean there are days I wish I wasn't a women but I know for sure I wouldn't want to be a man! Like for instance.... a cat... sleep all day and be lazy. There are days I feel like I would rather be a cat. :)

ucmama said...

mmmm, I've wished the same thing. I like to sleep; I like to eat fish; I like to lick my - whoa! I guess I don't really want to be a cat. :)

Super Happy Girl said...

ITA with jm. When *I* move to Massachusetts all I want to be is a pretty cupcake and rainbow Princess.
I don't care about the yucky restroom situation, just make me that.

ucmama said...

NCS, I thought you already were a rainbow Princess!