Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm sick of all the sickness around here. I'll spare you the graphic details, but I was severely sick last Sunday. It took me all day Monday and Tuesday to recuperate, even though I couldn't keep to the bed for those two days due to other responsibilities. Sunday was actually the best day to be sick, since I babysat a friend's kid all day Saturday and then took my kids sledding that evening. Except that the man wasn't home and my amazing 9-year old Sass watched the boys till Daddy got home at 2PM. So between Sass and the Wii, I was at least able to get a little rest. That stomach virus took me out of the game though. It was awful. I haven't been that sick for a long long time. And then Bud got it Tues night and stayed home from school Wed. And today is Thurs (for those of you who didn't know) and I had to go pick Hamster up from preschool for the same illness.

What gets me about it is that I wash my hands about 20 times a day. I'm a mom, it's what I do. I wipe the cart handles off at the grocery store and even the steering wheel in the car cart for the kids. I make my kids wash their hands after they use the bathroom, although if you asked them, they would swear that I don't care if they do or not. I'm not a germaphobe by any stretch of the imagination, but in the winter I definitely take precautions.

So how did my kids get it? Maybe I don't really want to know. Kids kind of gross me out sometimes. But adults are worse by far. I spend my time at a graduate school all day. And I watch ADULTS not wash their hands. I watch ADULTS wipe their noses/mouths/eyes with their hands and then touch stuff. And then I read articles like this, and I'm ready to live in a bubble.

2 comments:

Becky said...

You walk into my house and there is a big bottle of hand sanitizer (the 40 oz.-er). I need to be better about making people use it, especially know sickies!!!
You do what you can, but welcome to school. You may be doing all you can to prevent sickness, but not everyone is!
I know what you mean about adults. I wash my hands in the public restrooms (and/or use hand sanitizer) and watch woman after woman walk out without even looking at the sinks!
UUUUUUHHHHHHGGGG!!!
Sign me up for the bubble, too!

dancin' momma said...

I feel your pain. I've been suffering this week too...is there room for three in that bubble?