Saturday, January 17, 2009

I have a secret. Well, it won't be a secret now, obviously.
My secret is that I love fashion. This may come as a surprise to some of you (OK most of you), since my style is usually "Whatever's Clean" chic. I envy people like my sister Shannon who can wear anything in her closet and look amazing. This may very well have to do with the fact that she's 5' 9.5" and about 140 lb.

I guess I look at the fashion sites, like The Sartorialist or Asian Cajuns among others, hoping to understand how to pull off a clean polished look with a little flair. I think I used to be more fashionable. In high school I would scour thrift stores to find a perfect piece that would fit my hippie inspired look. The more children I had, however, the less I looked cool and the more I looked "mom". Not blue-jean jumper, white keds mom look. More like jeans and a relatively clean t-shirt look. Usually tie-dye since that hid any leakage from breastfeeding.

There's not so much in the way of fashionable clothes for overweight mamas. Unless I want something in a hideous flower print or embroidered denim button downs. OK, so there IS more than that but I like to make my point using ridiculous exaggeration. I'm currently working on losing weight. I'm tired of being heavy (not in a cool beatnik way). I also get to be in my sister's wedding in May and I don't want to be the fat bridesmaid. So there's plenty of incentive. I'm setting a goal for myself. It's a reward system. I'm going to get myself a subscription to a fashion mag, like 10 or A4 when I'm 10 lb. down from where I am now. I think I'm going to keep doing little things like this for myself. Like go get my hair colored and styled at a big-girl salon at 20 lb. down. Or a day at the spa for 30 or something.

This is kind of hard to write about. I'm a pretty private person when it comes to my emotions. But I know I can trust you, dear reader, whoever you are.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I hear ya! It's hard to talk about and think about, let alone do anything about. But you can do it. We are fighting the same fight, we might as well fight together!
Call me anytime and we can chat about the joys of "fat girl" clothes. Shiny, dressy, flowery, embroidered, Disney charactered, nasty things! I walk through stores and I think, "Why do people think that fat girls don't have any fashion sense!?!?!". I love funky, interesting clothes, too! We should shop together!

logan said...

Oooo...that sounds like a terrific idea. Treating youself!!

and I know what you mean...fashion is for tall people, not for short peeps barely breaking 5 feet.

Good luck!! Oh, and we have barely visible flurries today! I'm sure you'll laugh, but it's still exciting here...or well, at least to me!

xoxo
<3

Anonymous said...

don't worry, your secret love of fashion is safe with me. i love even crazier things like America's Next Top Model. i swear this is not spam and i don't get a kickback for this but i think you would like a website called SparkPeople.com. i've been trying to get into better shape since the summer and find that it helps a lot, not just with the lbs but everything else too.