Monday, January 05, 2009

5 more grits for your reading pleasure

Lest anyone think I'm a Republican...

a few stupid Bush quotes

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." —LaCrosse, Wis., Oct. 18, 2000

"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" —Florence, S.C., Jan. 11, 2000

It must be pretty depressing to have your term as president defined by slips of the tongue. But I guess it's better than having your presidency, a la Bill Clinton, defined by slips of the... well you know. It also must be depressing to declare a war on terror that can't ever be won. That's like declaring a war on stupidity, which is also dangerous to the people it's being perpetrated upon. Why didn't he declare a war on Al Queda? Or Hamas? Something with a definition. Something with an end. Something that could've been won.

*rudeness warning for any Mormon mamas reading this*

I think one of the biggest reasons I don't identify with Republicans, besides the fact that they ALSO tax the hell out us - they're just nicer about it, is that they don't have any guts. Or balls. Or whatever it is that Dems have that keeps people from confronting them. Republicans just bend over and take it. Over and over and over. I'll bet you $20 Franken takes that race. Because the Republicans will give up. Just a bunch of yaller-bellies. That's a generalization of course, but it applies to most of the political moves I've observed in my adult life.

So my suggestion is to be as informed as possible. Vote for whatever reason you want, but be able to defend your decision. And don't back down.

Anyway, I'm just feeling a little irritable. Can you tell?

4 comments:

M.Howerton said...

I love your political posts - totally love the humor you find in all the crap. Thanks for the mormon mama rudeness warning, but I still think you were being nice.

sarah said...

I like how you can complain and it sounds ok. When I complain about politics, inevitably someone asks a follow up question (like, Didn't you know...) and then I feel real dumb. And, no, I don't have a follow up question to try to make you feel dumb. But I do agree that Republicans take way too much crap. But part of it is probably the media covering the complaining up. Ya, I'm not too impressed with Bush, McCain, or any of my party leaders (I do have to say I like Sarah P. If we let her loose, she might vindicate us.) But, I'm less impressed with Bill (can't stand looking at the guy). I'll give Obama a chance. We'll see how he does.

Becky said...

Not too many people that are dazzling me at the moment. Also can not look at Bill. And I think Sarah P. would have been very interesting to watch!
And SNL would have been MUCH funnier! Last week they were trying to make fun of Biden. It was awful! Four years of boring SNL, what a bummer!
But, gonna give Obama a chance because I don't want the country to totally fail.
We deserve better!

Anonymous said...

Watch the PBS documentary, or maybe it's History channel, but I think PBS on Lee Atwater. Cut throat Repub. It won't make you think Repubs take crap. Or bend over. Or anything like that. You'll be disgusted to have ever even remotely affiliated with the party. Not sure that's a happy alternative though.

I'm off in hopes of my wings taking dreams. Ever hoping.