Thursday, January 08, 2009

This post is about me (that's what blogging is all about anyway) and stuff I know. Or don't know.

Astrophysics for example...

I find myself to be an intelligent person. This observation is based upon such things as making good grades on assignments and tests while putting in minimum amounts of work. OK, I didn't say I was an extremely motivated person, just smart. It also comes from the fact that I know at least something about many many things. I can hold a conversation based on a plethora of subjects and sound like I know what I'm talking about.

In addition to being intelligent, I'm also an accomplished bullshitter, but that's an entirely different post. Or maybe all my posts, I don't know.

There are a few things however, that make me feel pretty stupid. Like my freshman level bookkeeping class. Being the artistic/big idea kind of person that I am, I find it difficult to pay the amount of attention to detail required to get the right answer the first time. Now, I can do simple equations as fast as a calculator in my head. Division takes a fraction longer than addition, subtraction, or multiplication takes me, but I can figure out to the penny how much tip to leave a waitress in a second. Anyway, book keeping is different. I have to make sure I input the data without making mistakes. It is very difficult to do this when my brain is going not only in different directions, but different planes and dimensions as well.

There are a few things that make me feel REALLY stupid. Like astrophysics. I love astronomy. I usually know what planets are out in the sky at any particular time. I know many of the different constellations and the stories behind them. I like to learn about new star "discoveries" and novas and when lunar eclipses are due to happen.

But. I can't wrap my mind around the physics part of the universe. It eludes me. It makes me feel like I'm starring in Flowers for Algernon, only in the sad second half of the book. I'd like to have an exciting discussion about what dark matter could be. I'd like to be able to wax poetic about black holes. But instead I read science magazine articles about giant particle splitters in Europe and wish I understood the science part of it better.

But Michelle, why don't you just devote time to learning about it? If you are as intelligent as you think you are, I'm sure with enough time and effort you could totally write a book on it! (Thanks for the rhetorical question and encouragement self)

I said I was smart, not patient.

So I will continue, for now, to wish I was smarter. At least about astrophysics.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Used your name, is that ok?
Did you know my hubby has a big telescope? You need to totally come over sometime and we will do a viewing party! (We also subscribe to Astronomy mag) Did you know that on Saturday the moon was the largest in the sky it will be all year!? Did you get to see it.
Astrophysics, hhhhmmmmm, it takes a lot of time to learn that. I took 2 classes my senior year of high school and one class my freshman year! Kicked my trash! I did well, but man, that is some crazy crap!