Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A few thoughts, unconnected.

Hamster is 3. Freshly 3 as a matter of fact. And he told his preschool teacher the other day that she had Percy eyes and he had Thomas eyes. For the uninitiated, Percy and Thomas are characters in the Thomas the Train series. Percy is green and Thomas is blue. I just thought it was pretty cool that my little guy could develop a simile between his love of trains and his teacher's eyes. Very poetic I think.

Sassafras asked me today if ishkabobbing waas a word. I asked where she got that from and she said she made it up. I told her no, but SHISHkabob was a word. "Oh", she said, "That must be where I got it." And then I felt a little bad for squashing her word coinage. And after feeling bad, we started making up other words, like fishkabobbing, and squishkabobbing, and so on. After I said Annabeth Gishkabobbing, she didn't think I was funny anymore and asked me to please stop. Me being silly and her asking me to stop seems to be a theme around here.

I wish that people drove better in the winter here. I understand that not everyone can be an amazing driver like myself, but c'mon! People that were raised here don't stop at stop signs in the snow. I'm OK with that. But look to make sure other people aren't coming at you first! You will still be at fault in a wreck. Not wanting to get stuck in snow is NOT an appropriate defense for failing to yield.

Even so...
there is a favorite past time at the school I go to. It involves a one-way street and a very steep hill. There is sky walk (love sky walks!) over this street. When we get copious amounts of snow during school hours, there are crowds of people standing in the sky walk watching cars try to make it up this hill. Shut up! I KNOW we don't have enough to do here.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Laughing..... hold on!
Ok, watching the cars trying not to crash ROCKS!!! It's ok that that is the only thing to do here, especially in this weather!
I love the "ishkabobbing" thoughts! Our favorite thing to do at our house is make up new words. Especially R (the hubby). And it always gets to the point where the girls are saying "Dad, stop!!! STOP! STOP! STOP!".
We love teaching/teasing the little ones at our house!

Olivia Meikle said...

Ishkabobbing is my new favorite word. I want to know what it is, so we can do/eat/have it.